Cohort 9 was the first time that we taught React at Ada. While we all agreed the rollout was successful, we still learned a lot from the process! This post attempts to document some of that wisdom.
This is the story of how I found and fixed a performance problem in a React webapp. I’ve debugged many slow programs but never in the context of the web, so this was a great opportunity to experiment with the tools and grow my skill set. My problem turned out to be particularly tricky to analyze, but with the help of Chrome’s performance tools, some manual profiling and a careful scientific approach I was able to find a solution.
Ada’s complete curriculum, as well as all of our projects, are available for free on GitHub. These are collaborative, living documents that have been built over many years by many talented hands, so it’s impossible point to a single piece of it and say “I wrote that”. However, I’ve put an enormous amount of time and energy into this project, and I would be remiss if I didn’t include it here.